Friday, March 20, 2009

My son -- or Smile for your birthday!!

My son doesn't like to smile for the camera. See this year's school picture.




In fact, these days, he usually tries to avoid having his picture taken all together. Now, this wasn't always true. He used to cooperate for the camera, and smile too.




Not always, though.




The best school pictures happened when the photographer was good enough to make the boy child smile. We lucked out for a few years at least. (I won't show the famed frog face picture -- if I showed that school picture, a certain person would kill me.)




The picture with the tie dye shirt is about how I still think of my son -- just about that size. I think his sister preferred it that way as well. Being taller, that is.




Now the only one in the family taller than the boy child is the father type.




The boy child is turning fifteen today. It's is his birthday. And I can't believe he's that old. Why does 15 sound so much older than 14? It definitely does though. And how did this boy child turn into this tall, hulking person with hairy legs, a deep voice and no smile?




Ok, I take it back. He does smile sometimes.

Happy birthday, Mr. Boy. I love you.

18 comments:

Sherry said...

Happy birthday to your handsome boy! My boys went through that no smile and wearing all black phase. Sort of a statement, I guess but I have no idea about what! LOL!

Deb said...

Happy birthday to your son! I know how it is with those fifteen year olds - suddenly they go from all smiles and scraped knees, to boys who answer your questions with Uh Huh! Mine is 15 also and I really know how that is.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son!

Karin said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!
Times sure does fly!

Kathy P - NY said...

15 years has gone by FAR too fast!! Loved seeing the pictures - I remember those days when he (and the others!!) were SO little - it can't be THAT long ago, can it??? Happy Birthday!!!!!

Anonymous said...

In spite of his trying to look all grown up and tough, the male child does have a beautiful smile. I guess the trick is capturing that smile in a picture. Most boys seem to go through that period during their teens when they just don't want the world seeing them as agreeable with the adults in their life. Happy Birthday Kiddo! You have a beautiful family Margaret.

Brigitte said...

Oh yes, he does smile, and he has a lovely smile. Happy birthday to your son!

woolwoman said...

such neat pictures Margaret - thanks for taking the time to post them for us to see

Mel

Siobhán said...

Happy birthday to your son! He's a handsome guy, smiles or not. I usually get crossed arms & grim face when I point a camera at my son--who'll be 15 in about 5 weeks.

Your Lois is looking fabulous!!

Melissa said...

Ah, that was like mine only a few years ago! Happy Birthday, boy child! I like all the photos - family looks very happy!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Happy birthday to your boy child! So nice to see a pic of you and your family! I love putting a face to a name!

Cari said...

Oh Margaret - your post is wonderful. I love seeing family pics!! Yes...these children of ours grow up way too fast and wait till you get grandchildren..they grow like weeds.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Karoline said...

Happy birthday to your son

Cathy Lloyd said...

Enjoy the time with your handsome 15 year old boy child! They grow up way too fast and leave home...and then hopefully they reproduce so you can enjoy the grand ones!

Paulette said...

Wow, what a great looking family! And what a fabulous-looking young man, smile or no! Happy Birthday, Eli!!

Paulette

Unknown said...

You have a beautiful family and your son looks so much more handsome when he exposes that smile. :) Happy belated birthday to him! (My birthday is March 20th, too, just a few decades earlier. :) )

Patricia Lessell said...

The boy child is just gorgeous and one day in the near future he will smile again for the camera. Now our girl grandchild turned 6 on the same day as your boy child and our girl grandchild has the silliest grin now when I try to take her photo - she doesn't like showing her teeth for some reason. Go figure and you reckon your boy child is old? My boy child was 33 on the 13th and he's my baby. My girl children are 35 and 37 soon to be 36 and 38 where did the years go??? Lots of Love Patti xxx

Annie Beez said...

OMGosh Margaret, you have the cutest family, your husband looks like such a sweetheart!