Tuesday, January 30, 2018

This keeps happening....

OK, how did it get to be the end of January?  Didn't 2018 just start?  Sigh.  Anyway, I thought I'd pop in with an update before the calendar turned.  Here are my two projects.


My Void Shawl is basically finished.  I just need to weave in the ends and block it.  My Ninilchik Swoncho is still in progress.   It's a fun if somewhat challenging knit -- challenging only because of the yarn I'm using.  Which I do love, but it's not great for color work.  In both cases, I am using Woolfolk yarn, which is totally soft and squishable (Woolfolk Far for Void, Woolfolk Tov DK for the swoncho).  But like I said, not easy to use in color work compared to sticky yarns.  (I should say, it's fine for color work once you get used to it.  Just took some adjustment time.)   Can't wait to finish up my swoncho!


I did finish the Bousta Beanie by Gudrun Johnston.  It was a fun knit, and a good way to use up a few leftovers.

I attended Vogue Knitting Live in NYC this month, which was fun.  The Ninilchik Swoncho I'm knitting was a kit from Adirondack Yarns.  They had a gorgeous model of the swoncho there, and I fell hard for it.  The Woolfolk Tov DK makes a soft, wonderful swoncho!  I hope mine comes out as well as the model. 

Anyway, here are a few pictures -- I took many pics of gorgeous sweaters!  The first pic is the swoncho model.





Mia, of course, is happiest when her routine is uninterrupted.  Silly cat.


And of course I have to mention Roger Federer and his 20th slam victory at the Australian Open.  He will always hold a place in my tennis loving heart.

I hope everyone has been having a good start to 2018!

24 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

He certainly is an amazing player Margaret, he just keeps winning. Your knitting is always impressive, I love colour work of any kind.

Vickie said...

What a cool beanie!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Margaret! Love all the things! My goal for 2018 is to knit some colorwork. I've signed up for a mitts class at the LYS. Fingers crossed! You inspired me to do this dontcha know. Winks!

Vicki said...

I'm sure you had a blast at the knitting event in NYC - I always enjoy seeing your beautiful creations!

Vera said...

Love your Swancho and the shawl - both are so lovely. I need to get back to my Sigla......

woolwoman said...

you're going to be so sad when Federer retires - I literally quit watching tennis when Andre retired. I was trying to figure "swancho" - then I saw the photo and presumed "sw-eater" and "p-ancho" - a poncho with sleeves ! is really pretty but too challenging for me. I'm all about the easy these days but I have been slightly peaked by those fair isle yokes. Reading Kate Davies blog is deadly. Hope your new year is starting off great - looks like you have some awesome projects and I'm glad you got to attend VKNY - how awesome! take care Mel

Berit said...

These are wonderful sweaters--both yours and the displayed finishes at the show! Thank you for sharing.

Carol said...

Wow! Your knitting is just fabulous, Margaret. And how wonderful that you got to go to the Vogue event--I'll bet you wanted to buy everything in sight :)

Hope you are staying warm--I know I am thrilled that January is coming to an end!

marly said...

Never did I hear the word swoncho before and I'm so glad you showed an example. I love it! Solves what I always disliked about ponchos.

Kaisievic said...

Oh, I do so love Roger and I am so happy that he won "our" Grand Slam again! Lovely work on your knitting projects and the expo looks like it was great - love the cardigan with the teapots on it.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Miss Mia looks so sweet and relaxed- your knitting is beautiful and that yarn event looks fully attended

Penny said...

A swoncho -- what an interesting idea -- love your start! And that shawl is beautiful! Looks like a fun event and one where you could get into a little trouble. : ) I don't get to watch a lot of tennis, but I do like Roger Federer -- he seems like a gentleman on and off the court. Happy he won!

Anonymous said...

You are already fantastic at knitting...but that show looks lovely. It must have been an inspirational trip and very tempting as well!

Susan said...

I love looking at what you are knitting! I especially like the pattern in the Void shawl. The cardigan with the tea pots would be fun, but I imagine the pattern is a bit tricky. Glad you got to go to the Vogue Knitting Show.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Never heard of a swoncho, but I'm not a knitter. Thanks for showing a picture. Yours is going to be lovely.
Mia is as cute as ever :)

Dawn said...

Happy 2018 to,you too, looks like you had a fun month.
Your projects are great and I love seeing the photos of the knitting show.
I think Mia has the right idea.
Happy knitting!

Jackie's Stitches said...

The VK event had to be wonderful! I'd love to do something like that. I went to one of the early Stitches but that is nothing compared to what I imagine VK to be.

It took me a while to figure out the swoncho too!

deb said...

Not only is your work always beautiful, you pick such interesting and different things to knit! Maybe it just seems that way to non-knitting me, but the things you show are always so cool. Love the Void Shawl - looks like an incredibly versatile piece, and the Swoncho looks like a really fun thing.

Beth said...

Tennis=Margaret TV! Amazing sweaters at the show. I've never learned to knit, being left-handed felt it too challenging.

Elaine said...

beautiful knitting Margaret! that's the problem with all this quilting, my knitting has suffered :(

Brigitte said...

That beanie hat looks gorgeous, Margaret. And so do your two projects that you have in the work. That swoncho has a great color combo. Will you also knit the sweater with the red pattern around the top?

white and vintage said...

Your knittings are so nice. I like these colours. I follow you and I would be happy if you follow back :).
Have a nice week,
Christine

Karoline said...

Vogue Knitting looked amazing. It took me a while to work out the Swoncho, interesting construction and the shawl & beanie are great

Lilbitbrit said...

I love your Fair Isle knits, very talented.
Christine