Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Quick post

Once again it is the last day of the month and I haven't posted yet.  I'm trying to post at least once a month, so here's a quickie.  Here's the project I've been working on, in its various stages of development, the Birkin sweater by Boyland Knitworks.




I'm going backwards in time here -- the first picture is about where it's at now.

I heard about issues with the fit of the yoke area on Birkin from various sources, so I'm knitting an XL yoke and a L body and sleeves.  Someone else on Ravelry did that and it worked for them, so fingers crossed.  This yoke has lots of 3 color color work, which is not my favorite.  The majority of patterns only have 2 colors per row, not three (although there are styles of color work that go for 3 colors per row at times).  I'm looking forward to blocking this one out so the color work looks better.

Not much else to report around here.  We are an empty nest again -- I can't remember if I mentioned that here.  The boy child moved up to Buffalo last fall to stretch his wings and be on his own.  He's doing well, as is the girl child, who is still in NYC living the life.

Mia is, of course, Mia.


She decided it was too warm for her winter bed and proceeded to get into my knitting basket instead one day.  Luckily she only got a few stitches off the needles and unrolled a bit of yarn, nothing else.  I dug out a different basket and it's been her favorite sleeping spot since.  Silly girl!

Can't wait for spring!  Hope all of you experiencing the Beast from the East are surviving well.

ETA:  Finished the body!  On to the sleeves!


20 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

So much patience to tackle this amount of colour work Margaret. It's worth it though.
The dreadful weather is with us here in Scotland - we're currently at home with Red warnings from the Scottish government. Travelling would not be a good idea since lunchtime today as it's not stopped snowing and the wind is causing drifting.
Mia looks so comfortable and happy.

Angie said...

Margaret, I really admire your knitting. It's beautiful! Looks like a good life, a cat and a project to keep you busy :)

Annie with the ducks said...

Beautiful sweater! I like to knit too but nothing that exciting. Don't let Mia knock any of those stitches off the needles- best to just let sleeping cats lie-what a sweetie.

Robin said...

Love your color work, Margaret! Your knitting goes so fast. I don't like working with 3 colors either, so I usually embroider the stitch in the color that it is supposed to be, if there is only one occasionally stranded through the other two. I enjoyed seeing your family together at Christmas. Mia is so sweet. :)

Vickie said...

What a beautiful sweater my friend! Glad you checked in. The month would not be the same without you.😊

millie said...

I always look forward to your posts...your craftiness is to be envied!Have a great day!

deb said...

So very lovely! The last picture looks like your size selection/changes for the yoke and body will be about right for it to be a cozy and comfy sweater when you're through? As usual, I am in complete awe of your knitting prowess!

Had to laugh at Mia trying to appropriate your knitting basket - the other day Lakota decided she wanted to climb into my stitching bag and was busily working at removing the tools!

Kaisievic said...

Margaret, your new jumper looks gorgeous! Lovely pic of you and Mia is so cute - reminds me of our Milo aka Bowl Cat!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Gorgeous sweater!!! I am totally in awe. And that wall of samplers. Breathtaking!!!
It sounds like both of your young 'uns have their lives figured out and I think every mom's wish is that they be happy :)
Hugs,
Lauren

Beth said...

Birkin sweater colors rock! I think Mia has the right idea - sleep the winter away!

Vicki said...

Mia looks so cozy in her basket!
Margaret your sweater is gorgeous, just like every other project you share with us. I so admire your knitting talent!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Margaret, your sweater is so pretty. This has been in my queue but haven't worked up to it yet. I love our selfie. It just emanates joy!

Evelyne said...

The sweater look lovely! Nice colours!
Have a nice week.
Evelyne

Vera said...

Beautiful Margaret!! Love the yoke...I may need (ha!) to look at that pattern. I am wearing Sigla today!! Woo-Hoo.

Love Mia in her (no longer your) basket - so darling.

Stay warm and dry!!

Penny said...

I have loved following your progress on this sweater -- it's gorgeous! Glad to hear both children are doing well -- that is always a happy thing. Mia --such a sweetie and it's funny how they all love a basket especially when it contains yarn. : ) Always glad to see a post from you even if it is a quickie. : )

woolwoman said...

wow looks great Margaret ! I so admire your colorwork knitting. I am just too lazy or brain dead to tackle that right now. yet I always manage to do easy knitting and a little stitching here and there. hope you have a great weekend - mel

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your Birkin is gorgeous! You are such a talented knitter (stitcher too of course) and I always enjoy watching your progress.

Have you and DH adjusted to the empty nest? Greg and I are doing just fine with it but of course enjoy seeing the kids when we can!

Brigitte said...

We were suffering from the Beast from the East last week. Here the weatherman called it the Whip from Russia, lol. It was so so so cold and icy. Since yesterday the wind comes from the south again and we have very mild temperatures, no more whip, lol.
Your sweater looks gorgeous, Margaret. When the Beast comes again next winter you can stay warm and cozy.

Carol said...

Even though I've seen your update on this beauty on IG, I like the bigger photos of it that your blog provides. I do hope your power comes back on by tonight as they predicted. What an ordeal... I can't imagine what we would do as we have no generator. I guess we would drive up to NY to my mom's :)

Glad the kids are both doing well and Mia is snuggling in for what's left of this winter!

Karoline said...

Your Birkin is gorgeous, I'm getting very tempted to knit one!

Winter has been a tough season for lots of us this year, we've had work and school closed for the first time ever! Hope you've all recovered from it all. Mia looks like she is just about hanging in there...