Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Just a bit of crochet left.... (never mind, I finished...)

I have been meaning to make my October post, but I kept putting it off, thinking I might have a finish to show.  Well, I'm close, at least.  Here is my Fair Isle Club 2 blanket from Marie Wallin -- all the knitting is finished, just a tiny crochet border to finish.  (Which I finished after all!)


This was such a fun project to knit.  At times, the long rows seemed a bit endless, but mostly, it was just a pleasure.  I didn't follow the rules, though.  I knitted each section in the round and steeked.  I was supposed to knit the sections flat.

I would be finished with the blanket, but my arm muscles are not used to the twisting motions required of me for long periods of time with crochet.  So I had to give the border up for the day on Monday.  I will do more as my muscles allow.

Lots has happened during October.  DS has moved 6 hours drive away -- that's probably the biggest news.  We have an empty nest once again.  The Father type and I went on vacation -- to NYC.  It was fun to "live" in the city for a week.  And I got to go to Rhinebeck -- The New York State Sheep and Wool Festival on the Sunday of the festival.  I went because I wanted to learn double knitting, and Sockmatician, aka Nathan Taylor was teaching.  And I succeeded!


Here I am with the man himself, wearing my Firebirds cardigan (which I realized I've never taken a picture of with me in it, so to speak).  I'm wearing my Walking Tour scarf around my waist since I knew it would warm up enough later in the day not to be sweater weather.


My finished double knitting heart, which I actually finished after class.  Double knitting is a technique that gives you a two-sided piece of knitting.  No carrying of floats or twisting of yarns -- just the same image reversed.  (Don't look too closely.)


My Rhinebeck haul -- a sweater's worth of yummy Cormo yarn from Fox Hill Farm, a cute felted llama with knitted hat, and two lovely mugs from the same artist (Stratford House Pottery).  (And there is my double knitted heart showing the reverse side of the heart.)



And of course I saw some sheep.  :D

And earlier in the month, a bit of NYC happened.






There was more, but I'll leave it there for now (since my uploading doesn't seem to be able to access the rest.  Sigh.).

Mia, of course, is Mia.


Happy Halloween, for those who celebrate it!

17 comments:

Cari said...

Oh my gosh Margaret....your Fair Isle blanket is ALL THAT !! What an amazing piece of work. I bet you are proud and excited. Love all the pics including Mia. Happy Day.

Mugwump Woolies said...

Wow! Your knitting skills are extraordinary! The Fair Isle blanket is a beauty! Love hearing about your adventures.
Happy Halloween!
Robyn

marly said...

That was FUN??? Looks like torture to us non-knitters! Just amazing work. Enjoyed your post.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I do love that little face gazing out of the window Margaret. What a lovely mixed post today - so many interesting things to see and hear about. Double knitting is a clever technique.

Vickie said...

Wow woman! Such totally amazing work. Gorgeous. I am sorry your son has moved that far away. I suppose on the bright side, he could be so much further away, right?

Vicki said...

Margaret, your blanket is awesome, beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous, out of this world... obviously I can't settle on a description so pick the one you like best! It is truly a work of art. The double knitting is very interesting, I'm eager to see how you use this new skill. Congrats to your son on his move, I'm assuming a job is involved. Wishing him great success. Happy Halloween!

Evelyne said...

The Fair Isle blanket is a beautiful!What a piece of work!
Lovely picture from you with Nathan Tylor.

Have a nice week,
evelyne

Unknown said...

Wow !!! I am a knitter as well and I know how much time and perseverance was needed for this piece! Gorgeous !! Thank you for sharing.

woolwoman said...

congratulations Margaret on an AWESOME monumental finish on your Marie Wallin blanket - it's amazing! truly! I hope you enjoy using it for many years. AWWWW - your DS moved pretty far away - hope things go well for him. Rhinebeck - SIGH - heaven for wool enthusiasts - glad you were able to take a class and buy some stash and see lots of great stuff - I'd love to see the Firebirds sweater! Happy Halloween - Mel

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your FI Blanket is a *Masterpiece*!!! Amazing! It's going to feel weird to have it completely finished! And what do you follow THAT with?

Your double knitted heart looks great! You were restrained at Rhinebeck. I've heard such wonderful things about it and I'd love to go. One day!

Rugs and Pugs said...

That blanket is breathtaking!!! I am totally blown away by your knitting skills.
What fun in NYC.
I bet Mia will be missing the boy child. You, too.
Happy Halloween :)
Lauren

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Margaret, I don't know what to say, just that this blanket is gorgeous. Even in German I would be short of words, lol. You are so talented, a real artist.
Must have been a fu stay in NYC, for a whole week. And I remember your post about the Rhinebeck festival from last year or the year before. I think I would go there, too although I don't knit :))

Penny said...

You are such a knitting daredevil. : ) Whatever method your blanket is absolutely beautiful! Rhinebeck sounds like so much fun - glad you could go. It's always an exciting time when children embark on their adult path - might be nicer if they could keep it a little closer to home, though. : )

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wow that blanket sure is pretty! Loved all the other fun things to and, of course, Mia!

Beth said...

The Fair Isle Blanket is amazing - an heirloom for sure. The red military quilt is so very striking. Life as empty nesters -that will take some adjustment once again. And no post is complete without a photo of Mia!

Vera said...

Beautiful knitting Margaret - stunning! And your Firebirds looks great on you and love the w=scarf around your waist - great idea. You did take in a nice haul from Rhinebeck. Those mugs are so cute (and of course the yarn is yummy). Well done! Glad you got to go and have some fun. Sweet Mia...is she missing DS?

Carol said...

Loved seeing this on IG and love it even more here as the picture is larger! I can't say enough about how stunning your knitting is, Margaret! I am truly in awe that people can actually knit something so beautiful :)

So you are truly empty nesters now! Does it seem weird/good/sad? I know Mia must be pining away for your son. I do hope he is enjoying his new city!