Sunday, April 29, 2018

One of those months

First off, here is my Rams and Yowes all finished.  That border didn't work out, as predicted.  So after removing the offending border, I just knit an i-cord bind off directly to the color work and called it good.  It's living on my stitching chair now.


I also finished my Sockhead Cowl, knitted with a potluck Hedgehog Fibers skein. 


Then I tackled the Peerie Flooers hat by Kate Davies.


And I swatched for and started the Strathendrick by Kate Davies.



And then things screeched to a stop.  On April 14th, I somehow took a fall and injured my knee and arm, both on the left side.  I ended up going to the ER just to make sure things were ok.  The ER sent me home with a splint on my left arm, saying there was a possible "occult" fracture of my elbow.


Thankfully, come Monday (the accident occurred on a Saturday), I went to the orthopedist who said there were no broken bones.  Just take it easy and bend and flex three times a day.  So I started back in on knitting the day after that.  Slowly, just a bit at a time, cause it still hurt.  (My wrist was also affected by the fall.) 

So slowly but surely, I've been knitting and working on getting my arm back to normal.  I've gotten to where I can knit pretty normally.  But color work is too much for my arm still.  (I knit two handed with color work, so my left hand is used a lot more with color work.)

As a result, I've started a couple of new projects as I've been healing.  Here is my knitting basket.



I did manage a row or two just to try color work out.  So you can see my Strathendrick progress.  I'm waiting to work more on it.  My wrist and elbow need more healing. 

The first picture shows the start to my Polka Dot scarf from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas.  I'm using Isager Alpaca 1.  The second picture shows my start on Kirigami from Gudrun Johnston.  (I'm actually much farther along than this by now, but I haven't taken another picture recently.)  I'm using Brooklyn Tweed Arbor, my first time using this yarn.  Love Brooklyn Tweed!  The color is Sashiko.  It's a bit darker in color than in the picture.

Right now, the straight stockinette body of Kirigami is good for my arm, so I'm sticking with it.

Mia has had at least a day or two where she could enjoy the fresh air.  Spring is coming!


It's supposed to warm up this coming week.  I know Mia will like that!

20 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your colour work is just great Margaret, I particularly like Peerie Flooers. Our two cats are enjoying a small rise in the temps as well and even went out in their run today.

Vicki said...

Oh Margaret, I hope you have a speedy recovery from your injuries. Isn't it a shock if you fall down at our age?! I fell down a couple of years ago and thought, "What? Did I really just fall down?" It didn't seem that traumatic when I was a kid! hahaha All of your knitting projects are just beautiful (as always). I enjoy seeing them.

Merilde said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are injured. I hope that you heal fast - isn't it great that knitting can be good exercise? Your work is so lovely. Lori (a lurker for a while and house1795 on IG)

Vickie said...

I hope you are feeling even better now Margaret. I am glad you are taking it nice and slow.

deb said...

Oh no, oh no!!! So sorry that you fell and ended up in the ER and then the Ortho's office! Glad you're able to do some knitting, even if it's not exactly what you want to be working on. Please take it easy and be nice to yourself!

Of course, everything you showed is marvelous - always love to see what you've done.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

So sorry about your fall! Ouch!!!! The knitting is so stunning as always. I sure hope you are right as rain soon!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Such a smart idea to not push doing the color work until you heal. I'd be concerned my tension would not be the same (outside of the pain). I'm so glad you can knit at all! I had visions of you going stir crazy when I first heard about your fall. People who make things can't sit and be idle.

How's the knee?

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, Margaret. So sorry to hear about your fall but glad that nothing was broken and you are healing slowly but surely. Take good care and don't overdo things.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Susan said...

So glad you are healing well and will be able to get back to all those lovely projects soon.

marly said...

Margaret I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries! Sometimes a break heals more quickly than other injuries and I sympathize with your restrictions. Hope you'll be fully recovered soon. Love LOVE that floral pattern.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry you were hurt, Margaret. Best wishes for speedy healing.

Lovely finishes!

woolwoman said...

oh Margaret - I'm so sorry about your fall. Were you in the house or did you fall outside on slick pavement or something. I hope you were at home and not on a NY sidewalk or something. I'm glad you are able to knit, even if just straight stockinette. your Ewe and Ram turned out really nice and I love the hat from Kate Davies and your new starts are wonderful. Take it easy but I agree - work it if you can. Have a great week Mel

Beth said...

Margaret - Falling is scary especially if you were home alone! I fell in Sept 2017 while alone and though I did not hurt myself badly I scared myself terribly! All the what ifs! I am glad to hear you are slowly healing. Loving Peerie Flooers and your Rams and Yowes finish. Enjoy the warmer weather - you deserve it after the winter you had.

Brigitte said...

Your colour work knitting is just awesome. I have always admired people who can do this. I once tried it but it wasn't for me, lol.
But good that you take it easy after your fall and just do some knitting with one colour only to give your wrist a rest. I hope you are already feeling much better by now.

Vera said...

Oh gosh Margaret! So very sorry to hear of your fall and injuries. Hoping you are healing fast. That has got to be not only painful but frustrating to not be able to work on ALL of your gorgeous projects. Kate Davies' designs are just amazing! I really want to try one some day. Sending healing thoughts your way!!

Sweet Sue said...

oh no, plz do take care, slow and easy...

Carol said...

I'm so glad no bones were broken, Margaret! I sure hope you heal quickly and fully. Falling is my biggest fear due to my osteoporosis--I know I would have broken something if I fell like you did. Glad you can still knit slowly because I would miss seeing your beautiful finishes! Am always in awe of what springs from your needles :)

Take care now--enjoy this warm, sunny weather (FINALLY!).

Karoline said...

I hope that your arm is healing now, I can sympathise as my hand is still not right.

All your finishes are lovely, as always I'm in awe of your colourwork

Kaisievic said...

Hi Margaret, I saw about your fall on IG but I just wanted to say that I hope that all is healed now. :)

Margaret said...

Just leaving a comment so I get my comments to my email!!