Saturday, July 23, 2016

Poor neglected blog....

My blog posts seem to be getting more and more spaced out.  I have to say that Instagram is so much easier -- I can post there in no time at all.  But here I am writing a post.

I did finish my Cruden vest.  Hooray!


I'm very pleased with it, but it's way too hot to be thinking about wearing it anytime soon!

I have since started Vanora, by Michele Wang for Brooklyn Tweed.  I'm using Brooklyn Tweed Loft in the Fossil color.  A very enjoyable knit, just mindless enough but interesting enough to keep me going.


Did you see the yarn sitting in that lovely fabric basket in the picture?   Both the yarn (Jamieson and Smith) and the basket are from a dear friend for my birthday.  She gave me other enjoyable things as well.  What a pleasure!  Thanks again, friend!


Speaking of birthdays, I had two outings to celebrate -- and spread my birthday out over many days!  First, we drove up to Rhinebeck, home of the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival in the fall.  I had been there for the festival, but never gone to the town itself before.  Well, we went for a lovely late lunch, and then to a great bookstore and to this lovely place.


It's like an old fashioned five and dime, with all sorts of useful things!  And look at the sewing section -- just like old times!  Plus, this was attached at the back of the store.


Wow!  Both the Knitting Garage and A.L. Stickles Variety Store were a pleasure!

Then, the day after my birthday, the boy child and I went into the city to meet up with the girl child and eat lunch with the father type at his place of work.




Afterwards, the boy child and I wandered to a couple of places before dinner.



Both days were great fun.  And we managed to go on a gorgeous day before the worst of the heat and humidity struck here in the Northeast.

Mia doesn't approve of all the daytrips one bit.  She likes it best when everyone is home.  Poor baby.  But she has enjoyed a couple of fringe benefits from my birthday -- boxes and bags.



Thanks as always for stopping by and saying hi.  I hope everyone has a great week!  Stay cool!

22 comments:

Merry Wind Farm said...

Oh, Margaret, I love reading your blog, I hope you don't quit. I don't do instagram or those other new fangled things, haha. Your vest is lovely, I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been. It looks like fun family time, since boy child and dad were shy, I am happy to see a picture of your daughter and her beautiful smile! There is an old fashioned store like that very close to me, I love it! They have quilt shop fabric, all the good designers, from last year at $4-5 a yard. I never buy my quilt fabric anywhere else.
Melinda

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your Cruden finish! It looked like you had a good time and several adventures for your birthday. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy belated birthday!!!
I don't do Instagram either. Please continue to blog so I can drool over your gorgeous creations.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Happy belated, Margaret! It looks like you had a great time in the city! Love the pic of the FT and the BC in the store withe the BC's hand up. "Stop it, Mom! Do not take another picture of me". It does seem so strange that the kids can drink with us now, I'd agree. Fun new phase though. Pretty creations, as always.

Susan said...

Happy birthday! Thanks for sharing all the pictures. What did you get at the bookstores?

C Reeder PhxAz said...

So good to hear from you! Happy Birthday late from the hot Arizona desert. 115 today - so no sweaters here either. The yarn garage is amazing. I remember Woolworths Five and Dime as a child. Bought spools of thread and penny candy with gramma. Such fond memories that photo brought back.

Annie said...

Beautiful knitting. I don't know how you can think of doing this during a heat wave!

What fun birthday outings! That variety store is unbelievable. Makes me nostalgic for those stores of my youth. Or even the smaller local one that finally closed up around here a couple of years ago.

Enjoy your new goodies!

marly said...

I haven't a clue as to how that pattern appeared from your needles. But it is so special. Happy belated birthday! Glad you had such nice times with family. Poor Mia must have been a little lonely but she'll get over it.

Vickie said...

Your knitting is awesome my friend! Knitting in this heat?!? You are so blessed with those awesome, awesome shops! The family looks great! I think your birthday was a good one!! :D

Evelyne said...

Happy birthday!
Great presents!

Have a nice week,
Evelyne

Kaisievic said...

Your Cruden vest is looking great, my dear. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and I love both of your birthday outings - they look like they were lots and lots of fun. hugs, Kaye xxxx

Sweet Sue said...

happy bday dear friend! try to stay cool, it's dagnabit hot here too:)

Brigitte said...

Happy belated birthday, Margaret. Everything you were doing around your birthday sounds really good. Nothing better than extending a birthday this way :)
I always love reading your blog entries but I can understand it when you say that IG is so much faster to do. Anyway, I hope that you will stay here still a little while longer.

Brigitte said...

... and this vest looks so gorgeous.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Firstly, Happy Belated Birthday! Love the knitting. I know just what you mean about it being so hot. Wow! I also agree about the neglected blog. Mine...oh boy. LOL! Hope you are well.

Vera said...

Happy Belated Birthday Margaret! Looks like you had plenty of fun. Love that variety store and yarn garage - fabulous. Speaking of fabulous, that describes Cruden. Wow! I cannot wait for this heat to end!!!

Beth said...

Wonderful birthday outings Margaret. Fun with family for sure!

Carol said...

Always good to read your posts, Margaret! And now I get to see double photos that I'm on IG, too :) Ha ha! Your vest is perfect (well for colder weather!) and I just love the presents you received. Hope your birthday was a special one. I've been wanting to try to make one of those fabric baskets myself. Found a great tutorial--now need to get up my nerve. I'm sure you're enjoying seeing your whole family together now and then this summer!

woolwoman said...

The fair isle vest is amazing ! I'm glad you got to do some fun day trips to celebrate your birthday. Your new Michele Wang start is gorgeous! I love Fossil - great neutral - how do you like the Loft? Still have not tired any BT yarns. I am too busy trying to keep up with CL 2 to even think about non-loopy knitting projects. Even though the blog posts might be farther apart - they are still enjoyed all the same - keep cool and knit on ! Mel

Penny said...

Your posts may not be as frequent, but they are always filled with lots of good things! : ) The variety/knitting store - wow! And speaking of wow - I love your Cruden vest! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday with special times and lots of lovely goodies.

Liz said...

I agree Margaret, just quicker on Instagram but I can't find you, can you send me your Instagram name please. xx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love seeing the places you visit Margaret. Mia is such a cute girl, it's always a pleasure to see her. I must get to grips with Instagram one of these days.