Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I love A&E -- and alphabets!

So I seem to be going for change of pace after my Paradise Lost finish.  First I went for a much smaller A&E design, Sarah Esh by Barrick Samplers (aka Carriage House Samplers). 



I used 40ct Vintage Meadow Rue with the called for DMC.  I love A&E's! 

Then Vonna over at the Twisted Stitcher started a Prairie Schooler ABC SAL blog.  She showed us this picture to inspire us.  Now you have to realize I'd seen this picture a long time before and wanted to stitch it up right away.  But it didn't happen.  You also have to realize that Prairie Schooler was practically the first real designer I fell in love with -- back in my first stitching life.  (I still haven't told you that story yet, have I?)   So when Vonna started this whole thing up, well, it was inevitable that I would succumb.  My only problem is I don't like stitching over one.  And the picture (see above) is done over one. I love the look of over one, but I don't like doing over one.  Hmmmm.  

So I went digging in my stash.  Found a piece of 48ct Light Examplar.  Don't ask me what I was thinking when I bought that fabric -- must have had rocks in my head.  Tried it out -- and realized that it was taking me just as long if not longer than doing over one on a reasonable count fabric would take.  Sooooo, I went digging through my stash once more and found a piece of what I think is 30ct Custard Creme line -- can't remember who makes it, but that's what the label says the color is.  (Label doesn't mention the count, but I counted it out.)  Dug through my DMC stash and found all but 9 colors.  It was fated!  So I started with the letter A.  Here's my progress so far.







I'm doing pretty ok so far with the over one!  Amazing!  Now that I've gotten this far, I finally remembered to go join the SAL blog.  lol!  So I'm hoping to hear from Vonna soon. 

In other news, Thanksgiving is fast approaching.  The boy child is excited since that means all his college friends will be home for break.  The girl child won't come home till Wednesday evening during all the rush of other people coming home.  But she's coming home! 

One thing the boy child is bringing home from school for break is something we've never had in the house before -- a cello.  You see, the boy child is doing the pit orchestra for the second year for the middle school play -- high school kids do the pit for the middle school play for some reason.  He always gets stuck with the cello part to play on the bass.  Well, he decided that this year he wants to see if he can actually play the cello instead.  Keep in mind that the play is just over a week away, that they just had their first rehearsal yesterday, that they'll have rehearsals every day/evening after school (except over Thanksgiving break) until the shows, and that he's still learning the music -- basically sight reading it.  But still, he wants to try his hand at the cello.  Oh boy!  So hopefully in the midst of all the getting together with friends over break, he'll actually try the cello out as well!  Of course, I'd love it if he decides he likes the cello.  The cello has always been my favorite string instrument.  :D 

That's all from here.  I hope everyone in the US has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Thanks for stopping by and saying hi.

21 comments:

Cari said...

My brain is swimming...you finished Sarah Esh so quickly??? And started, and a great start I might say, this beautiful over 1 piece. You are fantastic!! I'm so glad your WHOLE family will be home for Thanksgiving. You'll have a great weekend with family and friends. Have a great one and Happy Thanksgiving. Big Hugs

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the new A&E finish (so who's churning'em out here? lol), and I will love watching your PS alphabet SAL, wish I had the guts to join you... My dream is stitching them individually and using them for a quilt - if only I knew how to quilt!

Unknown said...

Good Morning Margaret!

Your son is amazingly talented - hmmm, let's just see if I can learn to play an instrument over the weekend - haha, not in a million years! Good for him for being so ambitious! Can you record a little clip for us to hear?

I just love your A&E - haven't seen that one! And your new start - love it. I am adding it to my list for when I get tired of stitching A&E's.

48ct fabric - oh my - I'd have put it back in the drawer too. I look forward to watching your progress on this.

Have a wonderful, wonderful Thanksgiving

Nancy said...

Your Sarah Esh sampler is gorgeous! Have fun with the Prairie Schooler project!

doris said...

You've already finished Sara? How'd you do that so quickly? I'm working on her at an extremely slow pace. Your sampler looks wonderful.

Nice PS you have going there! Love the over one.

Edgar said...

That is a super A&E piece!! I love your new start!

Siobhán said...

Woohoo! Congrats on the Sarah Esh finish, Margaret! I think this A&E rendition looks like cavemen. LOL Great start on the PS SAL, too! YGG. Happy Thanksgiving!

valerie said...

OMGosh, you finished Sarah Esh already?! But you just finished PL! Turbo needles I swear. Sarah looks beautiful! Good for you for joining the PS SAL. I love it! I'll be watching everyone's progress on that one. Great start!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! The cello is one of my favorite instruments too. Hope your DS can learn it before the recital!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Woot... Woot congrats on your A&E finish Margaret... fabulous! Love your start on the PS Alphabets... if you can do this over one you should have no problem getting that Swan stitched over on on the Gibson sampler. lol
Happy Thanksgiving and good luck to the boy child and the cello.

Ruth said...

48 count? Yup, you're nuts. No way around it. lol

Beautiful stitching!

Enjoy your cello concerts :)

woolwoman said...

Margaret - the PS piece is looking beautiful - I think that Custard creme is a Legacy linen - the quality of their linens is impeccable - you will enjoy using it. Sarah Esh is darling - I'm in the PS Stitching Bee too - ha ha - thankfully A is already framed and hanging or I'd be behind already! Have a happy Thanksgiving with the family! Hugs Mel

Alma Allen said...

Hi Margaret,

I love your Sarah Esh....but this other thing you are starting!!!! (the PS alphabet SAL) I could just yank my head off and throw it across the room. Now you have me wanting to do that too!!! I remember seeing your alphabet sampler from Carriage House. You got Barb to begin that one...and she is still working on it. She loves it too BTW. I will have to send her the link to see your newest one.
Can hardly wait to see it done!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving...I know you will love listening to the lovely Cello music.

Melissa said...

I love your Sarah Esh - this A&E thing is addictive I can see. And you are off to a great start on the PS Alphabet - over one!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving! (maybe boy will serenade you while you're making dinner - ha!)

Littlebit said...

OMG, you are so fast!! Your A&E is the perfect size after Paradise Lost. Beautiful job. I'm drooling over that Prairie Schooler design. Uh-oh...

samplerlover said...

Hi Margaret,
Whoah Sarah Esh is lovely. She will look lovely with PL.
Are you hooked on over ones yet lol. I love doing cross stitch that way. The designs seem to be so much finer.
Your boy child is so talented. I love the story of Cello. Good for him in having a go at something new.
Have a lovely Thanksgiving - Sandra.

Deb said...

Okay Margaret - you must have the speediest needles in the USA! LOL I love your Sarah Esh finish! What is it with these A&E's? It looks wonderful. And I love your start on the PS alphabets. I jumped on that bandwagon too (what am I thinking)? Sounds like your Thanksgiving is going to be wonderful with your whole family coming in! Hope it's a wonderful day!

And good luck to your son and the cello. I can't even imagine doing something like that, but I bet your son will be playing like a pro in no time!!

mainely stitching said...

How on earth did you finish Sarah Esh already??? Do you have access to some sort of time tunnel or something???

Love your PS start. I also want to join, but can't before we are back in Maine.

Karoline said...

Sarah is gorgeous, congratulations

Brigitte said...

Sarah Esh looks so, so great. Congratulations on finishing it. I think I'll have to dig in my stash because I have the slight idea that I own this chart as well.
Great start on the PS alphabet. PS was also my first designer I fell in love with. And I could even get some of their charts which was more than difficult in the pre-internet times. Have fun with Vonna's group.

Emma said...

Margaret, Mom mentioned yesterday that she just found out you are blogging, and I should check it out. What amazing work!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! I love your PS Alpabet. I guess it's a good thing I don't have these charts or I would have another new start on my hands. And you Sarah Esh is wonderful. I've been dying to stitch that one...but alas, another chart I don't have. Somehow I've saved me from myself! LoL!!